Thursday, June 27, 2013

Cameron and Dominic's birth stories

Since I'm new to being a mommy blogger, I figured I would write about something that I feel really passionate about to help me warm up. So of course I picked some very close to my heart subjects : my boys and the days they were born.

SOOOO... here is Cameron's.

   We found out we were going to be parents on June 19th, 2007....2 weeks before our wedding! We had not planned it this way, it just was meant to be I suppose! At that time I was not tracking my periods. We were so busy planning for our wedding that I wasn't even paying attention to my cycles. Also at that time my periods were ALL OVER the place! Nuff said.
   I woke up in the early hours after a dream about being pregnant. In my dream, someone was telling me I was pregnant, and I kept saying "no I'm not...I'm getting married!". Well for some strange reason, I just had a huge feeling I should take a test. I didn't even know if I had an extra test anywhere, but I did! Just an extra first response that I had left over from a two pack I bought when one of my past crazy periods was super late.
And here is what I seen....
I ran into the bedroom, flipped on the lights and said  "OHMYGODTONYIMPREGNANT!!!".
My husbands response- "Ahhh turn off the lights!".
When he finally came to, he was all smiles. In fact we both could not believe it! So of course we had to take a quick trip to Meijers. And guess what....
 it was real!
We were both excited, nervous, scared.
Not to go into TOO much boring details of my pregnancy, but here are the "major" pregnancy things we experienced :
  • Hyperemesis Gravidarum, or aka as HG. It was awful and debilitating. From about 7 weeks till 38 weeks, I threw up at least 3 times a day with severe nausea and dizziness. A few hospital visits with IV hydration, lots of saltine crackers and cold wash cloths was the awesome things I got to enjoy from HG.
  • Hydronephrosis, or aka as kinked ureter. My little guy was growing and pinching my right ureter. Result of this was painful enlarged kidney on my right side. Heating pad was the remedy for this since I didn't want to take pain medication. One plus of this if I got to have bi weekly ultrasounds of my kidney, and get a sneak peak of my little bambino.
6 days before birth.
  February 7th, 2008 I had just laid down to go to bed. Tony was working night shifts back then, and had just left for work. As I was trying to get comfortable with my body pillow I had what I thought *might* be a contraction. It was not painful at all, just lots of tightness so i just ignored it., I felt and HEARD (yes i swear i did!) a pop, followed by a huge gush. I stood up and just froze. I grabbed the closest piece of material I could find and stuck it between my legs. I had a huge blank about what it was and what I should do. So I just called Tony, who turned around and came home.
 Contractions started right away. Half way to the hospital I was for sure that the baby would come any minute. It was after 9pm when we got to the hospital. I waddled through the halls with a huge bath towel between my legs (I had no idea there would be THAT much fluid!)  and we made it to labor and delivery. Now at the time, my mother was a clerk on the unit. She was not working that night, but had called up there for me to let them know I was coming. So When I arrived on the unit they had everything ready and took me to my labor room. By that time my contractions were coming every 3 minutes or so and getting more stronger. The nurse checked me and I was a whopping 2cm. The nurse pretty much told me I was in for a long night.
   We had discussed pain management before I went into labor. I made Tony promise me not to let me get an epidural no matter how much I cried for one. So plan was to do it naturally with no drugs. After I while I got into the Jacuzzi. It was wonderful. The only complaint I remember having is I went from being too cold, to too hot. So in and out of the jacuzzi I went for hours. I progressing very slowly, less then one cm/hour, and I was in a excruciating amount of pain.

  By 6am, after 9 hours of labor, I was stuck at 7cm for what seemed like forever. After being awake all night, and the entire previous day, i was exhausted. I got an epidural and slept for about 3 hours.
We started pushing at 9am.  I felt like my pushing was very ineffective. I had no urge. They shut the epidural off, and still no urge. After flipping and turning with position changes, oxygen mask on, baby was becoming stressed. His heart rate was dangerously high in the 200's. I was warned about a c section and for the first time I felt pure fear. Fear for my baby who was struggling inside me, fear for my body which was not doing what it was suppose to (or at least that's what I thought at the time). Having brief moments of panic wondering if I was going to die. I remember there being lots of hospital staff in my room, including the special care team and physician just in case he needed resuscitation.
  At 10:16 am, on a cold February morning, Cameron James was born vaginally with the assistance of an obstetric vacuum. The pain of him being pulled out of me caused me to see nothing but black. When I could see, Cameron was placed on my chest and we locked eyes instantly. It was magical. But I could tell something wasn't right. He was stunned, and so still. After Tony cut the cord, he was sent over to the special care team. I'm glad they were there because he did end up needing resuscitation. When i heard him let out a little cry, that's when I knew everything was going to be OK. I could breath.


We became parents at the age of 20 and 23. At that age we thought we knew everything, but having a baby sure did change that!
Two years later we were back at the baby making game again. With Dominic, I knew I was pregnant even before I decided to take a test. And when I did take a test, it was so faint. But I figured I just tested too early, because I KNEW I was pregnant. It was so strange and somewhat awesome that I could notice and be so in tuned with my body. But I'm a little OCD about taking pregnancy test to believe it, so here ya go....

  My pregnancy with Dominic was so much easier then with Cameron. I had some morning sickness, but I would not call it HG considering it was no where near as bad as the first time. And I had hydronephrosis again, but only for a few weeks then it resolved on its own.
  It was so exciting being pregnant again, even though my last experience was so rough. I was so busy with my toddler Cameron, that it went by pretty fast. I wondered what it would be like...two kids. Two car seats, two in diapers, two kids to bathe and twice the love. I never had any doubt that I didn't have enough room in my heart to love another little one. Mothering had come so naturally to me the first time.

 At about 37 weeks, I developed PIH, or pregnancy induced hypertension. I had elevated blood pressures. I would occasionally get spots in my vision and headaches, but for the most part all my lab work came back ok. Still, my Dr thought it would be best to induce at 39 weeks before I developed pre-eclampsia which is a dangerous condition for both mom and baby.
 We arrived at the hospital on November 22, 2010 for induction. It was 5 days before my due date. 
I started out at 2.5cm. Pitocin was started, and my Dr, who I ADORE, came and broke my water around 9am. And BAM the contractions kicked in like last time after my waters broke. Things went pretty fast from there. I knew I wanted an epidural, but I also knew I wanted to be a good dialation and in hard labor before I got one so I was not in labor forever again.
Tony added in the sit ups :)

 Here I'm siting at 10cm...with a huge smile :) I had a pretty good epidural.

   I pushed our second little guy out in less then 3 pushes. It was amazing. I could feel the urge to push and I pushed with all my might. I only dropped the f bomb once, then he was out and on my belly and screaming like a little monkey. He looked right up at me and stuck out his bottom lip like a pout. I remember thinking about how deep his cry sounded. He was perfect, with a little nose that was squished to the side. Dominic was born at 3:04pm, November 22nd, weighing in at 6lbs 15 oz. 6 ounces bigger then his brother was.


Life with two little ones was alot more difficult then I had expected. One of the major things I didn't think was going to be tuff was just going grocery shopping. Long gone was the days where I could strap Cameron in the cart and go on my merry way. Another thing was how sleep deprived I was. Cameron would wake up still in the middle of the night for a sippy, then I was up every 2 hours feeding the baby. And forget about sleeping in the day when the baby is sleeping! I had a toddler that needed attention too. It took a few weeks to really get a good grip on the two children thing, but its worked out great since then. Now they are 5 and 2.5 years and are the best friends I hoped they would be. Yes they have their little tiffs with each other on a daily basis, but they are perfect brothers for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment